i got home yesterday and really wanted something yummy and comforting. i remembered the amazing corn chowder recipe from the cookbook "the new vegan". after a lot of chopping, measuring and mixing it turned out pretty great.
if you want to try it, here's what you'll need:
2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dices
2 tablespoons corn oil
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 lb. frozen (rinsed and defrosted) or fresh corn kernels about 4 cups
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup finely diced celery
1 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced shallots
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 russet potato
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1/2 to 1 cup unflavored soy milk - optional
now here's what to do:
1. set oven rack to center and preheat 425, oil a large roasting pan
2. scatter sweet potatoes into pan and drizzle 1 tbs of corn oil, season w/ salt and pepper, cook until tender, tossing for 15 -20 min
3. reserve 1 cup corn kernels. in blender puree remaining corn with the water until smooth - 2 minutes.
4. in heavy soup pot, heat remaining tbs of oil. cook celery, onion and shallots over medium /high heat. stirring frequently.when onions are slightly softened add the tomato paste and thyme and cook another minute. stir frequently. add broth, puree corn, bay leaf, teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
5. while bringing the chowder to a boil, peel the potato, cut into 1/2 inch dices and add it to the pot. cover the pot and simmer 25 - 35 min. until potato is tender.
6. remove the bay leaf. add the reserved corn kernels, roasted sweet potatoes and parsley. thin with soy milk if necessary. do not boil after adding milk.
hope you love it as much as i do. any recipes you'd like to share?